.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Grandma's Macaroni & Cheese


My grandma used to make this for her family of 9 kids every Friday. Growing up, we ate it quite a bit, and it is now one of my son's favorite meals.

My Grandma's Macaroni & Cheese

1 lb. elbow macaroni
1.5 lbs. colby longhorn cheese
28 oz. can tomatoes
2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt

Cook macaroni until slightly undercooked. Drain.

Meanwhile, process tomatoes in a food processor to make fairly smooth.

Place the butter in a pan on the stove (I use the same one the macaroni cooked in) and add the blended tomatoes and salt. Stir until the butter is melted, then add the drained macaroni. Stir all together.

Place the tomato/macaroni mix in a 9 x 13 pan sprayed with non-stick spray.

Cut the cheese into slices about 1/8 inch thick. Put some pieces into the center of the macaroni (about 4 to 5 pieces) just use your finger to shove it into the middle layer of the macaroni, then put the rest of the cheese slices on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour. My mom likes the top to turn brown and get a little bit crunchy; we like it a little less cooked than that so the cheese is melted but still gooey. Enjoy!

(P.S., this may gross some people out, but this meal is very good with cottage cheese on the side, or in my case, cottage cheese stirred right into the cooked macaroni & cheese.)

7 comments:

Jennicki said...

Yummm....I miss that mac and cheese!

Johnlyn said...

I've never heard of tomatoes in mac and cheese before. It sounds good!

shaunta said...

mmmm...sounds scrumptious! Thanks for sharing :)

annies home said...

sounds delicious never heard of it being made with longhorn cheese but I do love that type of cheese

SnoWhite said...

like the addition of tomatoes :) yum.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Sounds good!!

Unknown said...

My grandma made Mac and cheese the same way. So YUMMY!!!
I have become a follower of your blog, I love to share recipes and ideas. Come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
Geri