.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Money Challenge

I posted on my monthly goals that I would like to have two no spending months. It would be difficult to have a no spending month this month because it is both my husband's and daughter's birthday month and we are throwing her a one year birthday party. However, now that work has slowed down dramatically (aaaahhhh, deep sigh of relief), I am ready to start saving in earnest again.

Crystal at Money Saving Mom and Gayle at The Grocery Cart Challenge spend $40 and $60 respectively a week for groceries. That works out to roughly $10 a person. I, on the other hand, have been spending $350 to $400 a month on groceries. That comes out to about $25 per person per week.

Yesterday I was digging around my small freezer for chicken, and I am ashamed to admit that I found some meat I had forgotten we even had--several packages of pork chops, 1.5 lbs. turkey burger, etc. I am WAY stocked up, so much that I am forgetting what I am stocked up on. Not a good thing.

So, my goal for the next four weeks is to not spend more than $40 per week on groceries. I will report back every week and let you know how I am doing. While I can't have a no spending month this month, if I succeed at this challenge (and I plan to), I could save roughly $200 this month on groceries alone.

Update:
Week 1 = 30.28
Week 2 = 76.39
Week 3 = 36.21
Week 4 = 29.01

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Unknown said...

I look forward to reading about your challenge.
Please feel free to stop by my blog. Our family is looking for ways to reduce our grocery bill since my husband and I are unemployed.
You have a wonderful week!