Last night I was supposed to make a Cheeseburger Calzone. However, I did not have enough yeast to make both a top and a bottom for the calzone, so I decided to create my own cheeseburger pizza, inspired by Lynn’s Cheeseburger Calzone recipe.
The bacon cheeseburger pizza was a huge hit in our house! We will definitely be making it again. Best of all, it can serve 4 for $4.79 assuming the four aren’t big eaters. (My son and I each had ¼ of the pizza and were more than satisfied, but my husband ate ½ of the pizza!) Here is a picture of our serving size:
Homemade Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza
1 pizza dough (I follow Sara Moulton’s Food Processor pizza dough recipe found here.)--$1.20
2/3 c. ground beef—2.00
¼ c. ketchup--.10
1 tbsp. mustard--.05
1 garlic clove--.05
1-2 green onions--.05
1/3 c. shredded cheddar cheese--.16 (I found 8 oz. on sale for $1.00.)
4 slices bacon--.50
¼ c. shredded mozzarella cheese--.13
Shredded lettuce--.30
Diced tomato--.25
--Prepare dough.
--While the dough is rising, brown 2/3 lb. of beef in a skillet. When it is done, drain and rinse the beef. (We do this to lower the fat content.) Let the beef cool.
--Meanwhile, cook the bacon.
--When the dough is ready, spread it out on a greased pizza pan and pierce it with a fork.
--Cook the dough at 450 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until the bottom turns light golden brown.
--Mix the cooled beef with the ketchup, mustard, diced garlic, diced green onion and shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl. Stir well.
--When the crust is nicely browned on the bottom, remove from oven and spread the beef mixture over it.
--Bake at 350 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes, just long enough to melt the cheese.
--Remove from oven and sprinkle on crumbled, cooked bacon and shredded mozzarella cheese.
--Cook 2 to 3 more minutes until the mozzarella cheese melts.
--Garnish cooked pizza with shredded lettuce and tomatoes.
--Enjoy!
I shared this recipe at The Grocery Cart Challenge, Life as Mom, and $5 Dinners.
4 comments:
I've always wanted to try a version of Cheeseburger pizza. I'm sure my husband would be in heaven. I always seem to forget about it come meal planning time. Thanks for sharing.
sounds delicous
I'm not sure how much yeast you had, but a good guideline for bulk yeast is 1/2 to 1 tsp per cup of water, depending on how much rising time you have. If you need to use even less, try making a sponge first. I've successfully made two loaves of sandwich bread with 1/2 tsp of yeast (2 c. of water for the two loaves).
delicious -- lettuce on pizza is something I really enjoy. It's great on a taco pizza too.
Post a Comment