I cleaned out the refrigerator and found a little bit of green leaf lettuce, about one inch left of our homemade yogurt and 1/2 a container of sour cream.
Drat that sour cream! I always end up buying a carton for a recipe, only using half and wasting the rest. I just don't like sour cream by itself; I only seem to use it in recipes. Maybe I can find a recipe for homemade sour cream so I can control the amount I make and don't waste it. Anyone have a good sour cream recipe?
4 comments:
My family loves sour cream so I usually have the trouble of running out rather than letting it go bad, but I do have a couple of suggestions for you.
Since you make your own yogurt, you can also make your own Greek-style yogurt and use it in place of sour cream because it tastes very similar to sour cream and has the same thick texture. Put some yogurt in a coffee filter or cheesecloth over a bowl overnight in your refrigerator and the next morning you will have Greek yogurt (sour cream).
We use sour cream in our mashed potatoes with some garlic and butter. I've also used it in cake to make it more moist. It's really good in a chocolate cake. We love it mixed in our salsa and in our chili.
I hope these suggestions help. I just found your blog over at the Grocery Cart Challenge.
Thanks! I will be sure to try this because I hate throwing out the sour cream.
Darcy is right, strain your homemade yogurt and you'll be left with a thick, cream cheese like substance. If you add cream to it, it'll be more spreadable and creamy. It's so good too.
I found the best way to stretch sour cream to last longer is to smooth the top of the sour cream with a spoon when you're finished using it and put it back in the fridge. You could also turn it upside down, causing an airtight seal. I do this all the time and sour cream lasts quite a while.
Here is how you do it. http://www.mex-recipes.com/sour-cream-recipe.html
Post a Comment