.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Free Summer Reading Programs at the Library

My son and I went to our local library yesterday to sign up for their free summer reading program. For kids his age, the goal is to read 140 minutes a week, or 20 minutes a day. Every week that he completes this goal, he gets a coupon for a free kids meal at Pizza Hut or a ice cream cone at McDonald’s or a movie ticket. At the end of the 6 week program, if he has completed it successfully, he gets a book.

This provides a good opportunity for us to spend some good reading time together and to visit the library more often. To my surprise, they even have a program for babies, so I signed my daughter up. At the end of the program, she gets a free book (which at this stage, she will probably just want to eat!).

Have you checked out your local library to see what free summer programs are available?

I shared this post at Works for Me Wednesdays.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

We love to read and visit the library in our home! My son never seems to stay motivated for long to participate in the reading program because the local library's incentives/prizes aren't that great. But I like the idea of setting a goal at the start of summer and maybe we'll work out a family reward system. I'dlove to get more reading in myself this summer.

Elizabeth said...

I LOVED the summer reading program when I was little, I cried when I got to old. This year I was excited to find that our local library is doing a summer reading program for ADULTS!

Jane Anne said...

I love the summer reading program at our library. The kids enjoy it and it is something fun (and cost free) to do. Thanks for reminding me to put that on the Summer calendar! School gets out for us tomorrow!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

We haven't checked it out this year yet. We need to though. Thanks for reminding me of the incentives!